Friendship Books (FB's)

 FB

The funniest thing happened….. 

I was cleaning out some old boxes and what did I find? I found a couple of old FB’s. I remember those! As a kid, I would spend hours writing people around the world. We would exchange letters, friendship books (FB’s) and stamps. I use to look forward to getting mail and wonder who and where it would come from. For me it was fun and at the same time I expanded my stamp collection. I was quiete the philatelist, collected stamps from over 300 countries.

I was introduced to friendship books after buying a Bravo magazine for kids in Germany one summer. I was spending the summer at my grandparents’ house and didn’t have any other kids to hang out with during the day. The magazine had a page of people (kids like me) who were looking for pen pals. I decided to write one or two of them. Eventually one of my pen pals sent me a friendship book and that is how I was introduced to friendship books.

Looking at those friendship books. I realized that wow that is something I did in the late 90’s. Before I married had kids, went to college and worked. I know that in the late 90’s I wasn’t on Facebook every day, like I am today. I check my Facebook every day for updates. I think everyone has Facebook now. Who communicated through letters anymore?

It seems Facebook (FB) has replaced friendship books (FB’s). I mentioned friendship books to my kids and they said; “What is that”? Then they just looked at me as if it were the dullest thing that has ever existed. Who wants to wait for snail mail when you can get a message to each other within seconds? Even my 92-year-old grandmother in Michigan uses Facebook daily. You go grandma! Nothing frightens her away. That’s my grandma!

I guess being home for a few months after breaking my patella has me organizing and cleaning areas I haven’t looked at for a while. I haven’t had much else to do and been bored to death. So…. Surprise! Here is a piece of history. I decided to to go ahead and mail out the friendship books to new recipients and maybe see what happens. Has the exchange of FB’s died? I guess I will find out?

I thought it might be fun to make a few more, I decided to make FB’s and Happy Mail by request. The Happy Mail will be theme related. One month the envelope might have to do with flowers or fish and the next month butterflies. Subscribe to my website and you might be one of the lucky recipients to receive mail. 

If you want to know more about friendship books check out https://www.globalpenfriends.com/



Fun Snail Mail Sign Up

Comments

Popular Posts