How to cut costs in quilting


I just saw a post of someone who felt she would not be able to quilt after finishing her first projects because of the unexpected costs. Let’s share some of our favorite cost cutting tips so we can all save a few bucks! 

Here are 5 of mine:
1) I try to buy precuts from Missouri Star Quilt Co when they are the daily deal. A jelly roll will do a complete lap quilt top. If I can get it for $25 or less, that’s a whole top for that price plus the thread. 

2) I try to buy backings from the bargain area of my LQS for $3-4/yard. Or from Marden’s in Maine, for any who live or visit there. They have the 108” for $7.99/ yard. 

3) Walmart has seasonal sales on fabric, sometimes as low as $1.00 -$2.00 per yard. Also check Hobby lobby‘s clearance rack in the back of the fabric department. 

4) I have occasionally found fabric at my local Goodwill store and / or at Estate Sales. 

5) I do check thrift stores and local sale pages for fabrics, mostly to use in collage type wall hangings, but often find good deals on bunches to add to my stash. It works for me as I do a lot of scrappy quilts. 

Give us your Best Tips!

Comments

Popular Posts