Crumb Blocks







Even Smaller Pieces
Every time I create with small pieces I wonder how I can work so small and then I go even smaller.
I have a number of techniques that I have created for working with small pieces and then when I go smaller I find that I need to adapt and create even yet another technique.
For these small pieces I initially began by using my mosaic technique and then discovered that the pieces were way too small for that.
I turned the sewing machine off, made a cup of coffee and sat and thought. 
I have a strict rule when creating. I won't create a technique that requires purchasing any special materials for construction. No special glues, no bondaweb and also no chiffon or netting (unless I already have some in my stash). I always have a supply of cheap white plastic school glue and that can sometimes be used but not if the end product is going to be washed.
The technique has to be possible with only a sewing machine, a domestic with a straight stitch, fabric scraps and thread. Sometimes ironing, but often even not that.
Why do I do this? You might ask. You might also say, these materials are readily available so why not use them.
Well there is that, but.... Times are changing. Finances are changing, Shipping is changing, the world is changing.
One thing that does not change is an artists desire to create. I continually challenge myself to use only what I have on hand and the one criteria is that the end result must be aesthetically pleasing and practical.

It can be used to create base fabric which can be used for art or as fabric to create practical products such as bags and pillows or very colorful beads.
This is the ultimate use for all of the tiniest of scraps that I have. Pieces this size used to go to doll or pillow stuffing, now I am not sure that I will have any left over for that when I am done creating.







Buy scraps from my Poshmark store „here“. Here is a Collin of ideas for scraps “here”. 

Comments

Popular Posts